16 Sept 2022

[Tutorial] Painting red cloth

Hello everyone!

As promised in my last post, I've been asked a few times how I paint the red on my daughters of khaine, so I thought a tutorial wouldn't a bad idea to answer all your question in one go!

Comme promis précédemment, voici un petit tuto sur la peinture des tissus rouges sur mes daughters of khaine! 

A quick word on red, this one is fully painted by hand. I've found it very hard to get a nice shine on red using airbrush, that's why I prefer to paint it by hand. If I really need to airbrush because of the size of the surface, I usually finish the last layer by brush to give it more shine and saturation.
N.B.² red pigment is slightly transparent and tend to be affected by the basecoat more than other colour, If you want a very bright red, the undercoat should be very light or plain white (or use preshading) 

Une petite note sur le rouge, celui est peins entièrement au pinceau, je trouve particulièrement difficile d'avoir un joli rendu avec l'aerographe, si je commence à l'aero, je fini toujours le travail à la main.
N.B.² Les pigments rouges ont une tendance à être légèrement transparent et sont de facto plus sensible à la couleur de la sous-couche, pour avoir une rouge vif, il est préférable de sous-coucher avec une couleur claire ou de prévoir un preshading pour faciliter la peinture.
 

Final result

Paint used:

  • Scale 75 Black leather
  • Pro acryl Burnt red
  • Pro acryl Bold pyrrole red
  • White or any pink
  • Pro acryl transparent red


1. First step is to basecoat the surface with black leather (black also work if you want, it's up to you)

Première étape, une couche uniforme de black leather comme base (noir fonctionne également au besoin)


2. I begin painting my highlight with burnt red slightly diluted, you will need a few coat to cover properly, if you reduce the surface of application each time, you can have an easy blend quickly

Je commence à éclaircir petit à petit avec du burnt red légèrement dilué, plusieurs passages sont nécessaires mais en réduisant la zone d'application, je peux avoir une transition rapide et plutôt propre sans me prendre la tête


3. I highlight again using bold pyrrole red reducing the surface of application. I'm not worried about being perfectly blended for the moment but if you have some really rough transition, just glaze some burnt red back

Je continu à éclaircir avec du bold pyrrole red, en réduisant petit à petit la surface peinte. Je ne me préoccupe pas d'avoir une transition parfaite sauf si un endroit est vraiment trop violent, dans ce cas, je reprends avec un petit glacis de burnt red pour lisser rapidement le tout.


4.With pink, I highlight the surface that receive the most light. I glaze bold pyrrole red if the transition is too rough, but most of it will be corrected in the next step

Je continu avec du rose cette fois, en me concentrant sur les zones les plus exposées. Je retouche rapidos avec du bold pyrrole red si jamais la transition est trop violente.


5.It's time to bring everything together! With transparent red very lightly diluted, I glaze the whole surface a few times until I'm happy with the depth of the colour, and voila !

Etape final et le meilleurs moment, j'utilise du transparent red légèrement dilué pour faire plusieurs glacis sur toute la surface jusqu'à satisfaction et voilà !

I hope you find something useful in this tutorial and happy painting!

Anamnesis - David


No comments:

Post a Comment